Although you can buy microwaveable chips, there are a few things you can do to have success with microwaving chips at home:
How to Microwave Chips
Whilst we wouldn’t recommend that you cook your chips in the microwave you can try. If you do want to try it and are rushed for time then try this method and see how it works for you.
- Place on a Plate
Pop your portion of chips onto a microwavable plate into a single layer.
- Microwave for 2 Minutes
Turn the microwave on for about two minutes on full power.
Check the chips and turn them over.
- Microwaving Again
Put them back into the microwave for another minute or two.
- Repeat Until Cooked
Keep repeating this process until you are confident that the chips are fully cooked. It should take around eight to ten minutes.
If you have bought microwavable chips then these will work much better and be much tastier, although you can never quite beat fried or chips cooked in the oven. If you have these then follow the instructions on the packet to cook your chips.
3 Tips for Microwaving Chips
When it comes to having chips from the microwave, here are our 3 tips you should follow:
- Crips Under the Grill – We would recommend that you only cook frozen chips in the microwave and even then they won’t cook too well. To crisp them up you could pop them under the grill for a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, even if you do this they won’t taste as good and the texture will seem a little odd.
- Cover with Paper Towel – If you find that the chips splatter and make a mess in the microwave pop a piece of microwavable paper towel onto the top of them before microwaving. This will keep the splatters a little more contained. Just be careful the paper doesn’t get too hot and burst into flames!
- Just Don’t Bother – Don’t try and microwave your chips! Well, if you do then make sure you buy some that are specially made for microwaving. These are easy to find on your supermarket shelves and you can pop them into the freezer until you need them. They also only take a couple of minutes to cook!
Advantages of Microwaved Chips
It’s not all bad news, however, there are some benefits to using the microwave:
The only advantage of cooking your frozen chips is the speed it takes about ten minutes instead of the twenty to thirty minutes it would take in the oven. This might not be a lot of time but if you are in a real pinch with time then it can help. However, beware they won’t taste as good!
- Just Buy Microwavable Chips
Whilst frozen or freshly cut chips don’t cook well in the microwave if you buy microwavable chips then you will find that it is quick and your chips are delicious. They even have a little of that crunch you would get if you had used the oven.
Disadvantages of Microwaved Chips
As you’ve probably guessed by now, there are plenty of reasons why you may not want to use the microwave to cook chips:
- Limited Space
One factor that can be a problem when cooking chips in the microwave is how much space you have. In most microwaves, you will only be able to fit one small portion of chips at a time which means you couldn’t use this method for a family or for larger portions.
- Lack of Texture and Taste
The biggest disadvantage and the main reason you shouldn’t cook your chips in the microwave is that they don’t taste great and the texture can be awful! They go soggy almost every time and no amount of crisping can change this.
How to Reheat Chips in the Microwave
It isn’t recommended that you reheat chips in the microwave.
Technically you can but they will change in texture. They lose all crispness and become soggy and mushy. If you have chips to reheat then pop them into the oven for five to ten minutes instead. Just be careful not to overcook them.
How to Defrost Chips in the Microwave
Frozen chips are cooked best from frozen so we wouldn’t recommend that you defrost them at all.
Cook them frozen using the method outlined on the packet. This also applies to any homemade frozen chips you have made. Cook them in the oven or in a fryer for delicious chips without too much hassle.
You can microwave frozen chips if you really need to but we wouldn’t recommend it. They don’t taste good when cooked this way! A great alternative is to buy microwavable chips. These have been made so that you can microwave them quickly and easily.