You may now know that you can microwave Pukka pies but you probably don’t know how. Below we’ve outlined exactly how to microwave Pukka pies and included a few tips for along the way:
How to Microwave Pukka Pies
Cooking Pukka Pies in the microwave is a quick and easy way of preparing them. That being said, you will have to forego the crispy topping, which isn’t necessarily a dealbreaker for everyone. Below are the steps you need to follow to safely microwave Pukka Pies:
- Remove the Pie From its Case
Pukka Pies come in metal cases, so you will need to remove your pie from its case before serving. You should never put metal in the microwave.
- Place the Pie on a Microwave-Safe Dish
Once removed from its case, place your Pukka Pie in the centre of a microwave-safe dish or plate.
Add a paper towel to the top of your Pukka Pie, so it is lightly covered.
Heat your Pukka Pie for 3-4 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave.
- Check the Temperature
Once steam is emanating from the centre of your Pukka Pie, check its internal temperature to ensure it’s safe to serve. Your Pukka Pie should be 75C or 165F.
- Serve and Enjoy
Cover your pie with gravy (if you choose!) and serve it up with chips and peas for a traditional British supper!
3 Tips for Microwaving Pukka Pies
If you want to ensure you have complete success when microwaving Pukka pies, we’ve got three tips worth following:
- Pierce Lid Slightly Before Microwaving – Piercing your Pukka Pie with a fork before microwaving it helps to heat it thoroughly. While it’s not essential, it can help to ensure your pie is heated evenly throughout.
- Microwave from Chilled – For the best results, microwave your Pukka Pie from chilled. If you have frozen your Pukka Pie to preserve its shelf life, it’s a good idea to defrost it in the fridge first, as this will also help to cook your pie thoroughly in the microwave.
- Oven Bake for Best Results – While it’s perfectly safe to microwave a Pukka Pie, the best way to cook it is in the oven. Oven baking a Pukka Pie ensures it’s piping hot in the middle with a crispy top, which is the perfect combination for a delicious pie. Only cook your Pukka Pie in the microwave if you have no alternative or if you’re pushed for time.
Advantages of Microwaved Pukka Pies
Although not the ideal way of reheating a Pukka Pie, the benefits of heating your pie in the microwave include:
- It’s Quick and Easy
You can cook a Pukka Pie in the microwave in less than five minutes. Oven baking a pie can take anywhere between 25-50 minutes, so cooking a Pukka Pie in the microwave is undoubtedly quick and easy.
- Easy to Clean
Naturally, cooking a Pukka Pie in the microwave means you don’t have to worry about adding your pie to a baking tray or cleaning the oven. Simply wipe the microwave-safe dish clean and serve your pie. It’s as simple as that!
Disadvantages of Microwaved Pukka Pies
Although microwaving Pukka Pies is straightforward, it’s not all fun and games, as we explore below:
- They won’t be Crispy
For those of you hoping to enjoy a crispy topping to your Pukka Pie, you will be disappointed if you cook it in the freezer. Your Pukka Pie will be soft and may even go soggy if you leave it in for too long.
- Challenging to Get the Temperature Correct
Depending on the power of your microwave, you may have to pause the microwave and check the temperature of your pie on several occasions. As such, it can be difficult to get the temperature right, as many people either under or overcook their pies in the microwave.
How to Reheat Pukka Pies in the Microwave
Providing you have stored your Pukka Pie safely after reheating it the first time (i.e. in the fridge or freezer), it’s safe to reheat it again. You can follow the instructions listed above and serve the pie as soon as it’s up to temperature.
This being said, we wouldn’t recommend reheating your Pukka Pie in the microwave. This is because it will almost certainly go soggy. The best way to reheat Pukka Pies is in the oven until they’re piping hot.
How to Defrost Pukka Pies in the Microwave
It’s advisable to defrost Pukka Pies in the fridge, but if you’re tight on time, you can defrost them in the microwave before cooking. To do so, remove the pie from its packaging and turn your microwave to its defrost setting.
Once the Pukka Pie has thawed all the way through, you can then proceed to cook it however you choose, either in the microwave or oven.
Cooking Pukka Pies in the microwave is perhaps the easiest and quickest way of preparing them. However, that being said, you won’t be able to enjoy a crispy topping to your pie if you cook it in the microwave, so for best results, cook Pukka Pies in the oven.